Land Surveying Technician
Lawson-Fisher Associates P.C. is currently seeking someone to be a full-time member of our Surveying Engineering team. If you’re a highly motivated self-starter who wants to join a firm that pushes the boundaries of innovation in geospatial sciences, then Lawson-Fisher Associates P.C. is the place for you! Our award-winning, multi-disciplinary firm can offer you the challenge, responsibility, and growth potential you deserve. The successful candidate shall share our passion for the challenge of merging the art of science and mapping. We are seeking a Survey Technician – Entry to 2 Years’ Experience in our South Bend, IN office location. The successful candidate will have experience in topographic, utility, and boundary surveys. The survey technician is responsible for collecting field data and information related to the preparation of survey maps and CAD files. Typical surveys will focus on small and large-scale municipal projects including, but not limited to, street reconstruction, pavement rehabilitation, intersection improvements, bridge replacement and rehabilitation, utility upgrades and extensions, water distribution and transmission, sanitary sewer force mains and pump stations, stormwater and sewer collection and treatment facilities, hydraulic modeling, environmental permitting, and regulatory licensing.
• Collects field data for preparation of surveys by using surveying equipment and software.
• Effectively uses reports, maps, drawings, engineering plans, and aerial photographs to assess project needs and assist in project approach.
• Assists in recovery of survey control and monumentation, obtaining invert and subsurface utility information, and photo documentation of the project area.
• Applies knowledge and techniques of surveying and advanced mathematics.
• Maintains survey equipment and initiate repairs when necessary.
• Remains current on surveying practices, guidelines, and best practices. attends internal and external training to expand knowledge and skill.
• Recommends new approaches and ideas that continuously improve efficiency and services performed.
• As necessary, assists with office tasks including but not limited to CAD drafting, data download, deed and map research, and filing.
• High school diploma; undergraduate-level courses in Survey or related field a plus.
• Possess a valid driver’s license in good standing;
• Entry to 2 years prior experience in topographic, boundary and utility surveys.
• Full range of bodily movement including but not limited to lifting and pulling up to at least 50 lbs.; ability to, sit, stand, squat, stoop, walk, kneel, climb, swim, and be on your feet for extended periods of time.
• Effectively work outside in less than favorable conditions including, but not limited to, extreme temperatures, rain, wind, snow, ice; you must sometimes wade water, cut brush, and navigate uneven or rough terrain.
• Strong attention to detail with excellent analytical and judgment capabilities.
• Demonstrated ability to work as a team with co-workers and managers.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Experience with Trimble instruments and data collectors a plus.
• Familiarity with current local, state and surveying regulations a plus.
• Proficiency in Microsoft, Trimble, AutoCAD or Civil 3D software a plus.
If you are interested in this position, please submit resume to:
525 West Washington Ave.
South Bend, IN 46601
or via e-mail at
© LAWSON-FISHER P.C. 2018
To provide high quality professional engineering services through
client collaboration, tailoring solutions that achieve their goals while enhancing quality of life.
To be the premier consulting engineering firm enhancing valued relationships through insight and understanding while investing
in professional development and